Tuesday 13 November 2012

Overall summary of research


Overall summary of research

In my secondary audience research I read multiple online reviews of two chosen example TV products. These products were Shameless and Dead set. I chose to read of these particular shows, as they both share the same genre that we intend to use for our own product (drama), and I also took into account that both of these shows were (and in the case of the shameless still continues to be) very well received by audiences. This factor of popularity ultimately validated my research more so, as the information I took was positive feedback, so would benefit my show when taking these things into account. My research found many things. Firstly, in the case of shameless, the depiction (and emphasis for comedic effect) of the working class was heavily praised by fans and critics alike. From this, it would be wise for me to attempt to include some kind of portrayal of the class system in Britain. Another element of shameless that was praised was its mix of humour and drama (in particular the dark humour within it). This again will influence the content of my show, as it can be seen to be popular with audiences. Dead sets praise came largely from two elements. Firstly its use of gore. Whilst I am producing a pre watershed programme, so would not be able to use this element, this praise has influenced me somewhat to try to create a distinctive feature within my programme. Secondly, further praise came from the portrayal and characterization of the leading character and villain. This has influenced to put a great deal of thought into creating parts for the ‘hero and villain’ in my own show (so I intend to put Propps narrative theory into practice at least partly), , in order to make sure that the themes of 'good' and 'evil' are connoted to the audience as much as possible.

My primary audience research was an analysis of the E4 show “Beaver falls.” Within my analysis, I took note of semiotic features, micro aspects and the effect they had, and the meaning the connoted to the audience. Overall I found that the most effective elements that ‘Beaver falls’ uses to appeal to its audience is the dialogue between characters and the situation of the characters. There is a heavy on the dialogue of the characters, as this is the predominant element which drives the narrative. Emphasis is put on this with the use of high key lighting and shot reverse shot editing. Both of these techniques allow more focus to be put on the conversation at hand, and indeed make the content itself seem more immersive. This is a technique I may consider using in my own programme as it offers a larger element of escapism within the show. The situation of the characters presents them as ‘underdogs’ in a situation where they are somewhat alienated from the other characters around them. I would consider using this technique my own show, as I have seen it been used for effective appeal to the audience in this and other shows, as it gives the audience the impression that they are almost ‘supporting’ the characters’ struggle by watching the show, which overall makes it more entertaining for the audience.

 My secondary production research was to find out details of existing production companies, and select information that may be beneficial to take into account when producing my own content. The production that I selected to research into where; Cowboy films (top boy), Bwark productions (the inbetweeners) and company pictures (Beaver Falls, Shameless). From these production companies  I leant multiple things to take into account when producing my own show. Most namely, I found that having an extensive knowledge of the selected broadcaster, and indeed other broadcasters and television institutions appears to assist in the production of successful products. I have derived this information as both Bwark productions and company pictures have knowledge of broadcasters and other media institutions, due to some of their staff have worked for broadcasters in the past. Both of these producers have subsequently produced successful shows, when taking this into account, my research is somewhat validated. I also learnt from cowboy films’ page that some of their staff also have extensive knowledge in the area of film. When taking this into account, I will use my existing knowledge of film also when producing my own TV product.


For my primary production research I contacted production companies via telephone call. I contacted Clerkenwell films, producers of Misfits, and Company Pictures, producers of Beaver Falls. Company pictures were unable to answer my questions due to time constraints. However through Clerkenwell Films, I was able to speak to Petra Fried, the executive producer for Misfits.  I asked her questions concerning target audience, characterisation, Mise En Scene and crew training. All of the information that I gathered from this source is incredibly useful to me. This information was useful as, firstly, it was information given from a perspective that I had not considered before. For example, I was told, that Clerkenwell do not create Misfits with solely a certain target audience in mind, rather they aim to simply produce a product of high quality. I also learnt that elements that Clerkenwell aim for (which ultimately contribute to its success) are realistic characters and setting, characters who are distinctive from one another, and a more working class backdrop for their show. I further learnt that use of a 'pre synced' location for my product could prove very successful  Additionally this information was given to me by and industry professional, who is heavily involved with the production of a very popular show on E4. This fact validates my research somewhat, as I know due to the success of the content that Petra has been involved in making, that the information she gave me would be accurate and valid.

No comments:

Post a Comment